Man oh man it can be tough traveling with kids. We have done plane trips and long (12+ hour) road trips with both kiddos now. We love to travel but it can be really daunting to travel with two kids. I have put together some tips and tricks to help you out… along with some funny stories about the lessons I have learned.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links.
If you haven’t seen my travel post before check them out. I also updated my packing guide to include the whole family!
- Give your self plenty of time
- Let your kids run until you have to board the plane. Get those wiggles OUT. Also, on long road trips plan extra time for stretching out and letting kids run.
- Ear popping pain solved: For babies, let them nurse/eat/take a Paci during take of and landing to help with their ears. For the bigger kids have them sip water or chew candy.
- Pack all the snacks.
- But when it comes to the drinks…be careful of the straw cups and bottles… they can leak on airplanes because of the air pressure. I try not to fill them until we hit flying altitude. Bless the mans heart who experience our contigo cup water spout show when Tripp was a toddler.
- Bring Toys (especially iPads). I am not going to lie when we travel screen time goes out the window. We don’t use iPads in the car ever except on long road trips it is part of the good road trip behavior treat. Small things like bandaids and stickers are a fun way to pass the time
- We LOVE LOVE LOVE this compact stroller when traveling. I also like to baby wear when the little ones are small.
- Pack sanitizing wipes. Airplanes are full of germs.
- Get TSA precheck. If you travel even just a small amount the it saves you in the security line is amazing plus not having to take shoes off and bags apart helps SO much when you have kids.
- Most importantly…. give yourself grace. It is HARD traveling with kids but it is SO worth it! The more you do it the easier it becomes.
Bonus Tip if you need to thaw breast milk as Starbucks or a restaurant for a cup of hot water. A lot of bathrooms don’t have true hot water handles and this is way cleaner then a bathroom sink anyway!
I have to say out of all of the flights and Travel we have done 95% of the people we run into are SUPER nice and overly helpful. This is something that I will never forget and when I am past this season of life will remember to help those moms and dads that may really appreciate the helpful hand while traveling.
What are your favorite travel tips for families?
XOXO, Gabbing Ginger
Leave a Reply