*Please note this post may contain affiliate links!
I am so thrilled to be bringing you another wonderful Gabbing Girls Guest blogger! Jennifer is a magnificent crafter and wonderful blogger I met through my #momblogtribe. I am so excited to share with you her wonderful DIY gift that is perfect for the holiday season! Without further ado….
How about a little DIY today? If you are looking for a fun, unique gift, you have come to the right place! Today’s gift idea is created part digitally, part hands-on, completely adorable, and comes out around $4 per set.
These are Quick Cakes Recipe Cards.
There are 10 recipes included in each little set. The recipes are for individual cakes made in less than 2 minutes in the microwave. Perfect for well-deserving moms, college students, older folks living alone, or even to set up as a Quick Cakes BAR for a party or group! I think the recipe cards make a really cute gift for just about anyone.
These recipe card sets are actually made from a playing card deck! That’s right. Just a creative, darling use for a playing card deck. As such, one deck makes 5 of these little sets, each one with 10 different recipes.
And, yes, since they’re made from a deck of playing cards, they are playing card size.
In case you’re wondering, I’m Jennifer and I’m thrilled to be guest blogging today at Gabbing Ginger!
I just made these Quick Cakes Recipe Card gifts last week, and I have to admit I fell in love just a little. You are going to love them!
As a special bonus just for Gabbing Ginger readers, the first part of this DIY tutorial will be a video! I show you step-by-step how to digitally create the Quick Cakes playing card deck. Then we’ll finish up with some step-by-step photos on how to put these little gifts together once you get the playing card decks back in the mail.
Ready? Here we go!
Okay, now that you have followed the steps in the video to get your playing cards, you can do a few things while you wait the 7-10 days for your order to arrive at your door.
- Decide who your 5 favorite friends are. I’m kidding, but you will need to decide who gets the 5 cute sets of Quick Cakes recipe cards. Of course, ordering more than just one deck of Quick Cakes recipe cards is a great solution if you like more than 5 people.
- Buy book rings at an office supply store or big box store.
- Buy ribbon. I like the thin kind I used here, but it would be cute with wider ribbon, too.
- Get out your hole punch.
I wish I could see your face when you get the box in the mail and open your playing cards. That’s the honest truth. It’s the first big fun part of this DIY project.
After you get your deck of cards, you’ll kind of deal them out. This is how you divide them up so that each set gets one of each recipe. You’ll have 5 piles.
Assembling them is ridiculously easy. For each set of cards:
- Find the “helpful hints” card. Punch a hole in the upper left of the side that says Quick Cakes. This will become your front cover.
- For the remainder of the cards, punch a hole in the upper left corner of the cards on the recipe side.
- Place a book ring through all the holes.
- Tie with a ribbon.
- Impress and delight your friends with this fun gift. Give with a box of cake mix if you like!
I love that this is such a one-of-a-kind gift, not to mention being cheaper and more fun than a gift card. It’s easy to make and exciting to give. And who doesn’t want to be the best gift-giver ever?!
Today’s guest blogger, Jennifer Wise, is a married mom of three who thrives on creativity. She is fluent in American Sign Language, loves great Mexican food, and enjoys both teaching and learning. Her favorite place is the beach, and her favorite thing to do is laugh. If you gave her a million dollars, she would spend it on her addiction, traveling. Jennifer blogs each week at www.lifetalesbooks.blogspot.com and is the #familyhistoryfriday contributor at www.livegrowgive.org.